Students are advised to take the following school course prior to the admission. If you have not taken all the listed courses, you should at least be enrolled in them at the time of your application
- 4 years of math (including calculus)
- 1 year of physics
- 1 year of chemistry
- 3 years of English (4 years recommended)
- 1 year of U.S. history/government (waived for international students)
We accept applications from students who have completed the approved curriculum provided by their home countries. These include, but are not limited to:
IGCSE, AS, and A Level curriculums:
The most competitive international applicants whose schools offer the IGCSE curriculum usually present three A Level exams with grades of at least an A or B.
International Baccalaureate (IB):
Competitive applicants whose schools offer the IB curriculum will typically have scores of 6 or 7 on their IB exams, including their "predicted" grades. The IB Mathematics HL track will meet Caltech's calculus requirement.
Advanced Placement (AP)
Other local public options
Standardized Test Result
- SAT and/or ACT test scores (Temporarily eliminated in January 2020)
English Language Requirements
- Duolingo English Test
- TOEFL Internet Based Test (TOEFL IBT)
- IELTS score is not accepted.
- No minimum requirements
Two Letters of Evaluation
Caltech requires two letters of evaluation from teachers:
- 1 math or science teacher evaluation
- 1 humanities or social sciences teacher evaluation