Boston University accepts a range of international qualifications. For most BU programs, the recommended high school/secondary school curriculum is as follows:
- 4 years of English
- 3-4 years of mathematics (precalculus/calculus recommended)*
- 3-4 years of laboratory science
- 3-4 years of history and/or social science
- 2-4 years of a foreign language
Students who are applying during their last year of secondary school should clearly state the name of the certificate they expect to receive and when. They should send an official school transcript with the application and send the original or certified copies of the credentials when available.
Also, please be sure to submit copies of all qualifying exams taken throughout secondary school (for example: IGCSE final certificates, Class 10 Secondary School Examination Certificates for India, etc.) as these are also necessary to complete your application.
English Language Requirement
If your first language is not English, you must submit one of the following English Proficiency Test Scores:
- Duolingo English Test (DET): competitive score of at least 120-130
- TOEFL: competitive score of at least 90-100 and minimum scores of 20 in each section
- IELTS Academic: competitive score of 7 or higher
Remark: If your TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test score is below the required minimum, it is possible that you can still be admitted to BU by attaining the minimum score before classes begin.
Standardized Test Score (Optional)
Boston University will adopt a test optional policy for first-year applicants applying for fall 2022/spring 2023. This policy applies to all undergraduate schools and colleges at Boston University as well as all scholarship programs.
Prospective students and applicants must decide for themselves whether or not to include standardized test scores with their application for admission to Boston University. When making this decision, students should consider the totality of their academic record, their contributions both in and out of the classroom and to their communities.
If you choose to submit standardized test scores:
- BU does not require the optional essay on the SAT test or the optional writing component for the ACT.
- If you’ve taken the SAT more than once, you can select which results you want to send to us using Score Choice. We will only review the highest SAT scores you submit.
- For the ACT, we will recalculate a new composite score using the highest score from each section, regardless of test date.
School Counsellor Recommendation and Report Form
Please ask your counselor to submit the School Report form and the School Counselor Recommendation form found on the Common or Coalition Application.
Please ask a teacher to submit the Teacher Evaluation form found on the Common or Coalition Application.