Yale does not have any specific entrance requirements (for example, there is no foreign language requirement for admission to Yale). There are also no specific high school courses required for applicants who express interest in any particular major. But Yale does look for students who have taken a balanced set of the rigorous classes available to them.
Applicants should try to take courses each year in:
- Social sciences
English Language Requirement
Applicants must submit one of the following English Language Requirements:
- The TOEFL at least: 100 on the internet-based TOEFL with 25 on each of the three sections of the paper-and-pencil TOEFL Paper-delivered Test
- The IELTS: a competitive score of 7 or higher
- PTE: a competitive score of 70 or higher.
Duolingo English Test (DET): a competitive score of at least 120.
Standardized Test Result (Temporarily Suspended)
Standardized test results (ACT or SAT) - not required for fall 2022 admission
ACT and SAT policies:
- SAT vs ACT: The Yale Admissions Committee does not prefer one test over the other, and students who submit both the SAT and ACT are not at an advantage.
- Essay and Writing Sections: The ACT Essay and SAT Writing sections are optional.
- Self-Reporting Scores: Students who opt to include ACT and/or SAT scores with their application may self-report scores on the application and/or via the “Update Application” form.
- Superscoring: When assessing SAT results, admissions officers will focus on the highest individual section scores from all test dates.
The middle 50% of test scores for enrolled first-year students were as follows:
- SAT-Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 720-780
- SAT-Math: 740-800
- ACT Composite: 33-35
Two Teachers Recommendation Letters
Request recommendations from two teachers who have taught you in core academic subjects (e.g. English, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies) who know you well, and who have seen you at your best. It is preferable, but not required, that recommendations come from teachers who have taught you during your junior or senior year of high school.
Counsellor Letter of Recommendation
Request a recommendation from your school counselor. If your counselor does not know you well, the recommendation may still provide helpful contextual information about your school and its academic programs.
Supplementary materials - extra recommendations
The vast majority of successful applicants submit only required letters of recommendation. If you feel the need to submit extra information, you may ask one additional recommender to write on your behalf. The most useful extra recommendations provide new information and dimension to a candidacy.
Yale Short Essay
All first-year applicants will complete a few Yale-specific short answer questions. These required questions are slightly different based on the application platform an applicant chooses.
An interview is not a required part of the application process, but applicants are encouraged to connect with a Yale alumnus/a or student interviewer when possible. An interview will help you learn more about Yale and will provide an additional opportunity to share information about yourself.