The Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies (B.A.) is a two-year major that begins in the junior year of residence. The program is not open to Freshman applicants. Freshmen are welcome to apply to UCLA with a different or undeclared major and then apply to change their major to Architectural Studies during the winter quarter of their Sophomore year,

If you're applying as a freshman, you must achieve a 3.4 unweighted GPA from high school if you are from out-of-state or international. We recommend:

  • 2 years of history (in place of U.S. History, history of your country)
  • 4 years of composition and literature in language in which you are instructed
  • 3 years (four years recommended) of college-preparatory mathematics that include the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry.* 
  • 2 years of college-preparatory science, including or integrating topics that provide fundamental knowledge in two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, or physics
  • 2 years of a second language
  • 1 yearlong course (or 2 semesters) of visual and performing arts
  • 1 additional course from any subject areas above
  • finish secondary school and earn a certificate of completion, which allows admission to a university in their home country or country of graduation


  • Students who have completed the IGCSE or O-level exams have not yet met the requirements for admission at UC Berkeley. 

  • The university requires further study, either completion of the two-year A-level program with a minimum of three academic exams

  • You must complete at least 5 IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O-Levels, and at least 3 academic GCE A-Level exams to be considered for admission.

International Baccalaureate

  • You must report grades exactly as they appear on your official academic records (that includes the secondary school transcript and exam report from the International Baccalaureate Organization.)
  • If your school releases predicted scores for the diploma exams, you should enter the predicted scores on the International External Exams.
  • If predicted IB scores are not available at the time you submit the application, you do not need to report them on the application.

For sophomore transfers consideration, you must achieve:

  • 3.4 unweighted GPA from high school if you are from out-of-state or international

  • Take the SAT or ACT exam with the writing or essay component

  • Complete all college preparatory requirements in high school

  • Applicants must complete the following courses with a ‘B’ average in order to be UC Eligible:
    – 1 English course in critical thinking/writing
    – 1 English course in composition
    – 1 Math course
  • Transfer students will be expected to complete the lower division preparation courses during their first year of residency.

  • Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
  • Applicants must have 60 semester or 90 quarter units completed by the Spring prior to matriculating

English Language Requirement

If you’ve completed all your secondary school/high school in a country where English was not the language of instruction, you're required to demonstrate one of the following scores:

  • Score 24 or higher for the ACT English Language Arts (ELA)
  • Score 31 or higher on Writing and Language in the SAT 
  • Score 3, 4 or 5 on the AP examination in English Language and Composition, or English Literature and Composition
  • Score 6 or 7 on the IB Standard Level examination in English (Language A only) 
  • Score 5, 6 or 7 on the IB Higher Level examination in English (Language A only) 
  • Score 6.5 or higher on the IELTS
  • Score 6.5 or higher on the IELTS Indicator (Fall 2022 only)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination:
    • Internet-based test (iBT): Minimum score of 80 or better
    • iBT Home Edition: Minimum score of 80 or better 
    • Paper-delivered test: Minimum score of 60 or better
  • Duolingo English Test (DET): Minimum score of 115 (Fall 2021 and Fall 2022 only)

The Supplemental Application Requirements

This includes:

  • Questionnaire
  • Unofficial Sophomore Transcripts
  • Department Statement
  • Portfolio: 3-6 Page PDF of Creative Work

Counsellor Recommendation

A written statement from your guidance counselor or school advisor.

Academic Teacher Evaluation

Penn requires two teacher recommendations, ideally instructors from your junior or senior year in major academic subjects. 

  • We don’t recommend that you submit letters from instructors of the same subject. A letter from a math teacher and one from a science teacher, for example, is acceptable. Likewise, a letter from a history teacher and one from an English teacher.

Portfolio (Optional)

Required only for transfer students applying for sophomore standing. There is no specific number of submissions that must be included.