All students need to demonstrate minimum competence in fields they will continue to study at MIT. We recommend that all international students study:
- Four years of English
- Mathematics, at least to the level of calculus
- Two or more years of history/social studies
English Language Requirement
Applicant must submit one of the following English Proficiency Test Scores:
- TOEFL 90+
- IELTS 7.0+
- PTE Academic 65+
- Cambridge English Qualifications (C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency): 185+
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 12+
Essays & Past Activities
- Essay on short answer questions regarding your backgrounds and motivation
- 4 past activities
- Self-reported Coursework Form
Two Letters of recommendation
These can be letters of recommendation from two teachers (one math/science, one humanities), plus materials from your school counselor.
Visual Art & Architecture Portfolio
Creative individuals with exceptional talent are welcome to submit a portfolio via SlideRoom.
MIT encourages all types of media art, including design, drawing, painting, mixed media, digital media, photography, sculpture, and architectural work. You may submit a portfolio of up to 10 images of your work for review. Include the title, medium, a brief description, date completed, and a brief description of each work’s concept or inspiration.