Secondary-School Subjects/Requirements & Recommendations:
- All departments: 16 units, including 4 of English, 3 years of foreign language, 3 of math, and 3 of science
- Architecture: additionally requires 4 years of math (calculus is recommended) and 1 of physics
Recommended academic preparation:
- Rigorous high school curriculum and an outstanding record of academic achievement
- Participation in activities related to student’s choice of major in Architecture, Art, and Planning
English Language Requirement
English Proficiency Test Score is required of all international applicants whose first language is not English. Applicants must submit one of the following scores:
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
- 5.5 and above on the iTEP
- 120 and above on the Duolingo English Test
- 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
- 70 and above on the PTE Academic
191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
A portfolio is a required and critically important component of the application. All B.Arch. applicants must submit their portfolio online.
- The portfolio should contain several examples of freehand drawings including sketches as well as fully developed work.
- In addition to drawing, a range of artistic media needs to be demonstrated, but each applicant should emphasize the work where their skills and passion are expressed most strongly.
- Painting, printmaking, sculpture, photography, video, woodworking, and other crafts can convey artistic experience and aptitude.
The Department of Architecture requires a portfolio interview for every applicant to the B.Arch. degree program. The purpose of the interview is to explore an applicant's interest in architecture and to understand how that interest developed. A formal portfolio need not be presented at the interview, but the interviewers do expect applicants to bring samples of their artwork.
Standardized Test Scores
Cornell has suspended the SAT/ACT testing requirement for 2022 applicants.
Cornell requires a written statement from your guidance counselor or school advisor.
Two Teacher Evaluations
You are required to submit two teacher recommendations. Be sure to remind individuals writing letters for you to include your name and date of birth on all pages if they are sending them by mail.
Cornell University Questions and Writing Supplement (CA)
The Cornell Questions and Writing Supplement (CA) is required of all applicants applying in the system. This includes important Cornell-specific questions and required personal essays